Thursday 15 October 2009

Another Sea Stack

Recent works in watercolour have interrupted my trips to the beach, but true to form I found time to head out and select one of the many stacks along our coast as a subject. The result is below.

Returning to the same subject matter is providing me with a wealth of material from which I can make judgements about any development that is taking place in my painting and this latest example has given me lots to think about. There is a better range of values in this piece and areas like the sky and the foreground read much better than in some earlier works. I put this down to taking a greater degree of care in blocking in prior to beginning the main painting. It was particularly helpful in establishing the value range and foreground detail. Clearly another set of lessons learned.


Sea Stack, Souter - Oil on canvas board 12" x 10"

2 comments:

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
You've got some good things going on in this painting. That sky with those massive clouds has such great looking highlights in them. My hat is off to you on these seastack paintings. Getting water and rocks to read well is a major chore. Every time I see these it makes me want to stop what I'm working on and do some seascapes. I'm really a frustrated Marine painter, hahaha. A very long time ago my whole idea behind learning to paint was to paint water and the boats I was constantly drawing.

I think this one is your best effort with seastacks Mick. Keep plugging away because they are looking better and better.
Ron

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Ron. I am finding the stacks are a great subject to aid my development. Familiarity with the subject matter breeds confidence and some days I really need it. Thanks for the encouragement.