Wednesday 23 June 2010

Back to Cullercoats

The weather is good and after returning from the Lake District I caught up with my old friend, Jed, and we set out for an afternoon painting. Jed lives on the coast north of the Tyne and there are lots of fine locations to inspire the painter. Cullercoats is such a spot and is well known amongst artists as it once had a thriving artistic community with luminaries like Winslow Homer working there.

Whilst Jed got out the watercolours and pastels, I decided to work in oil as there are a number of ideas I'm trying to drum into myself, not least depicting credible recession in my pictures. The biggest problem I have is producing the correct mix of paints to apply without lots of post hoc adjustment. As usual the viewers will be the judge of how successful this attempt has been.

Cullercoats Bay - Oil on canvas board 12" x 10"

2 comments:

Peter Ward said...

It's a good effort Mick. The only comment I would make (with hesitation) is that my eyes keep being drawn to the very light foreground rock with the dark spots. I don't think they look quite right. Perhaps the oil experts could comment.

Unknown said...

Peter - The problem in that area is I haven't resolved the shapes sufficiently well for them to read properly, they do need adjusting. The other thing I'm not totally happy about is the hole in the central rock - poorly shadowed methinks.