Thursday 8 March 2012

Portrait WIP - Staged Approach Demonstration - Day 3

I thought it was about time that I shared with you the main source photograph for the current portrait project, so here it is. It's the label for the current EP of my pal, Jed Grimes. If you're interested you can find it on iTunes. Well worth a listen.

Jed Grimes - Album Cover

I further thought that you might like to see how I'm working. The next picture shows my trusty Open Box M with the linen mounted and the pigments mixed. My basic flesh colours are made with Cadmium Red, Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Yellow and Burnt Sienna with the usual Titanium White. Changes in mixtures might be altered with the addition of a blue, in this case Indanthrone Blue or some Yellow Ochre.

Easel Set Up for Portrait

Today the adjustments that I've made are small, some sifts in shadowing and slight alterations to the mouth. After that some work on the hair.

I've now reached a stage where I'm almost at an end but need to spend some time studying how the painting fails to meet my aspirations for it. I've already spotted one or two things that might create more of a likeness than I have at present, but I want to sleep on it for a while. So I'm going to call this finished but not complete.

Jed Grimes - Oil on stretched linen 12" x 12"

9 comments:

Peter Ward said...

He is a handsome fellow, much better looking than you Mick although I can see a bit of a resemblance - a distant relative?

Actually I can see something if this is the photo you're using. The hairline is incorrect. On the left facing side it slopes away too much. In the photo his hairline both sides of the parting are more or less at the same level.

Peter Ward said...

Sorry it's the right facing not the left (eek!)

Daniel Corey said...

Hey Mick, I think your effort is well spent! I also don't think your far from where you wanna be. I will ramble my usual offering.. Values. Comparing background, shirt (average value) and shadow side of the face to the light side of the face will show the biggest value jump. And this along with just minor tweaks to the big light pattern and dark pattern can all be seen from a distance away. Maybe there is a way for you to print this image so it is similar or same size to your canvas? Stepping away will be like picking apples from the answer tree. :)) I hope some of my rambling helps. I'm sure you know all this but, ehhh i gotta try to help.cheers

Unknown said...

Peter - Cheers. The hairline has been attended to.

Unknown said...

Dan - Thanks for the suggestion. I've just ringed one off that is the same size and as you suggest it makes all sort of things apparent. I've now got a short but significant list of adjustments to make. As usual a pleasure to tap your wisdom.

Caroline Simmill said...

I am very impressed I have been peeking into your blog to see what has been developing with the portrait and it is really looking great. You have captured a likeness which is so important, I can paint portraits but they never look like the person so I have given up! but here I can see you have the gift for a likeness. After seeing your painting I would recognise the man if I passed him in the town so this is an achievement. I am interested to see if you will paint more of his hair. But I would leave his face alone as you have some great work going there, I especially like the shadow on the side of his face and the way the eye is quite lit. Very nice work, well done you must be delighted Mick.

Unknown said...

Caroline - Thanks a lot. I do intend doing some more work on the hair, it's not right in terms of colour yet. I'm delighted that you think there is some likeness, most of my early portraits lacked that. I'm now trying to treat them like landscapes and paint shapes, moving from large to small.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
I think you have a good likeness going on here of your friend....and yes, I did check out his music on iTunes...pretty jazzy sounding....almost reminicent of Gordon Lightfoot.
Nice paintings here. Mick.
Ron

Unknown said...

Ron - Thanks so much. Glad you got to hear Jed's music and you're right about the jazzy undertones they are in part due to using the best jazz drum/bass rhythm section in the North of England.