Tuesday 1 May 2012

Venice - Part2

Some further pages from my Venice sketchbook. As I said in my previous post the weather in Venice during my stay was changeable in that it varied between rain and fine sunshine so panting opportunities had to be taken when they came up. This was one reason why I abandoned the oils early in the week. Using them meant carrying a much bigger load of equipment whilst the watercolour sketchbook is light as is the accompanying paint box. Using them meant I could move about rapidly and get down some images and notes that I can use for painting now that I'm home. Before leaving the subject of oil paint, I made the mistake of taking Underpainting White as a quick drying alternative to my more usual whites. The mistake was not trying it out prior to leaving. I found it very difficult to work and whilst it did dry quickly it didn't provide the sort of result that I like. Try before risking spoiling a week with unfamiliar materials will be my watchwords in future.


On the Salute steps - Watercolour on Not paper


Pescaria - Watercolour on Not paper


Fondamento Barbariga - Watercolour on Not paper


San Marco - Watercolour on Not paper


Madonna dell Orto - Watercolour on Not paper

I could write a lot more about my trip but I'm running out of time before a trip to Ireland for a music festival so I'll have to save my further thoughts till I return.

4 comments:

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

What a good record of your trip, Mick, and so much easier than the oils. The 'Salute steps' shows very nice perspective. Well done.

Peter Ward said...

Wow you did get around! Should be the basis for some excellent finished works. I assume you have photographs to back the sketches up?

What's all this stuff about you `managing to get a break'! Your always off on holidays (grin)

Unknown said...

Ray - Cheers. Yes the portability of watercolour sketch gear makes for quick and easy working. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Peter - I attacked the trip with a mite too much enthusiasm but it's not often that you get the chance to immerse yourself in the activity you love in a place that you love with little else to think of. I came home knackered. The odd break never did anyone any harm. As I finish this off I'm heading out the door to Ireland.