Saturday 5 January 2013

I Really Don't Know Clouds At All

At last the frantic comings and goings of the Christmas period have come to a belated conclusion and the opportunity to dig out the paints has arrived. As a warm up before turning to some more serious projects I decided to attempt some cloud studies. I dug out a couple of canvas boards and my sketch books, selected a couple of drawings and squeezed out some paint. A little mixing on the palette and I was ready to go.

Most of my work is based in the landscape and one of the most important elements in making images in the outdoors is the depiction of clouds. As a warm up exercise the inclusion of clouds was important to me. Two different types of cloud condition made the exercises a little more challenging.

This made for an enjoyable session and whilst not totally satisfied with the results I have managed to get myself back focussed on making pictures.



Clouds 1 - Oil on canvas board 12" x 10"


Clouds 2 - Oil on canvas board 12" x 10"

8 comments:

Peter Ward said...

Hi there Mick you've surfaced at last after the hectic Xmas/New year period!
I like your oils best as they are consistently good. In this instance prefer the second one.

Finished the challenge by the way.

Unknown said...

Peter - Just about surfaced. Now in painting mode and will get round to the challenge this week.

These little studies have given me a few ideas for a couple of larger pieces.

Yvonne Harry said...

Hi Mick, interesting exercises, something I think we should all do more of,as a support for our main paintings.Enjoyed looking at both of them.

Unknown said...

Yvonne - Thanks. I agree and wish I could discipline myself to do more exercises and develop my technique rather than trying to complete paintings all of the time.

Ron Guthrie said...

Hi Mick,
I like both of these paintings and the clouds look fine especially in that lower piece. I think clouds and water are about the same....an artist who painted them always thinks they need more work but everyone else enjoys them. Nice!

Unknown said...

Ron - Thanks. Clouds and water make the most wonderful subjects, not always easy to represent well hence the practice pieces.

Sophia Khan said...

Hello Mick,
Beautiful paintings here. Landscapes aren't easy-at least not for me and these are very convincing. I love the colors of the sunset with the reflections of the sun in the water in "Clouds 2". Reminds me of Turner.

Unknown said...

Sophia - You are so kind. The colours are from an evening near where we have a caravan in the Lake District. The area is a constant source of inspiration.