Wednesday 8 September 2010

Belated August Project

This is last moth's project that my friend Peter and I have attempted. His version can be found on his blog. This comes from a photograph that I took of a favourite location, Souter lighthouse. My sketchbook attempt and the original photograph are in my July 4th post.

At the time I passed the photograph on to Peter, he commented that he preferred another photograph where he thought that the elements linked together in a better fashion. This got me to thinking that I should try to make better links in my first composition. The solution for me was to include the diagonal path to take the eye up to the skyline and the end of the wall in front of the lighthouse. I couldn't bear to leave the seat out of the picture as it provides some foreground interest and a balancing shape across the picture from the lighthouse. The final image has some obvious inadequacies but nevertheless was an enjoyable piece.

Souter lighthouse - Water colour on Rough paper 16" x 12"

2 comments:

Peter Ward said...

I like this much better than your first try Mick. The only thing I would say is that the red on the lower part of the lighthouse should be brighter, more to match the top.

Unknown said...

Peter - Thanks. Can't disagree with the comment about colour on the lighthouse. Poor picking up of colour responsible.