Wednesday 27 November 2013

Portrait 3

Today's changes to the portrait. Another day of learning. The main points for me are finding ways to improve my mixing and also my measurement. Whilst I've made a number of adjustments to both during this process, I've not yet got them to the point where I'm totally happy but I feel that this exercise has got me a little closer.

I'm about to put this one aside for a while as it has always been a study for a more formal portrait. The next step for me is to spend a little time experimenting with colour mixes to improve my choices when representing skin. 

On reflection I feel that this isn't too bad as a portrait even though it doesn't have that magical quality of a true likeness to the subject. However it is close enough to suggest that I'm making a little progress.


Portrait 3 - Oil on linen

8 comments:

Caroline Simmill said...

Hi Mick this is going really well! I missed yesterday's portrait update and can see that from that stage there has been a lot of work done. I hope you are enjoying the journey!

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

The portrait has a lot of character Mick. Well done.

Peter Ward said...

Pretty good Mick. I don't know how the likeness goes but the only comment I'd make is it looks a little dull? Is this a consequence of using linen with oils?

Unknown said...

Caroline - Enjoying it a lot. Time to move on to another for a few days.

Unknown said...

Ray - Thanks a lot.

Unknown said...

Peter - The dullness that you refer to is largely down to the light conditions under which it was photographed and I didn't want to photoshop it. The other thing is down to me where I have not produced as wide a range of tone as I might.

Yvonne Harry said...

I really like this Mick....but then I have always liked the work you do in oils. Great!

Unknown said...

Yvonne - Thanks a lot. I'm certainly going through an 'oil' phase at present.