Monday 9 February 2009

Still Life

This is becoming a potted history of where I have been in my search for style and at the moment we seem to be stuck at the stage where I discovered Charles Reid. Having convinced me that I was just commencing my journey, his work prompted me to try other subjects for image making and I embarked on a series of still life pictures. One of the better ones is shown below. It wasn't long before I had acquired a DVD of Charles at work and that got me thinking about my brushes and paint supply as well as how to apply the paint to the paper. I am now settled with the range of brushes that he uses (Da Vinci) and use artist quality paint in tubes by Winsor and Newton and Holbein. Most of my work is done on Saunders Waterford paper, Rough or Not.

Subject matter became an interesting challenge and I decided that if I was to progress then I would have to widen my horizons and that led to the next stage of my voyage, of which more next time.




2 comments:

Daniel Corey said...

Lovely painting Mick

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Dan. I think this subject matter lends itself to use of watercolour. It's capable of rendering really delicate colour relationships.