Tuesday 1 March 2011

Christchurch Earthquake

In the Carney household we've been watching daily images of the terrible events in Christchurch. They have a particular poignancy for us because at this time last year we spent a month travelling round New Zealand and one of our last ports of call in that wonderful country was the beautiful city of Christchurch.

Pictures of the wrecked Cathedral took me back to a lovely day I spent with my watercolours and sketch book sitting in front of that building where I was entertained by people like the gentleman pictured who use the square as a 'Speakers' Corner'. The doorway that you see in the background is the main entrance to the Cathedral. The date on the page is February 16th 2010.

Speakers' Corner and Christchurch Cathedral - Watercolour sketch

1 comment:

Peter Ward said...

Of course! I'd forgotten you were there not long ago Mick. What a tragedy for New Zealand and the people of Christchurch. My heartfelt wishes that they can recover from it (in time).