Sunday 23 October 2011

Maine Escape

I've just got the chance to write a few notes and post a few pictures in relation to this wonderful place, Maine.

First of all, I must introduce a fabulous guy and brilliant artist, Dan Corey. If you haven't seen his work, get him Googled. I met Dan in cyberspace some time ago in the land of Wet Canvas as I started posting early attempts in oil and early plein air work. Dan chipped in with helpful and encouraging comments and I was extremely flattered that an artist of his talent would take the time and care to help a novice like myself. We've been in touch ever since and it was with some excitement that, having planned a trip to his part of the world, I was able to arrange a meeting.

It wasn't just a meeting. Dan had offered to take receipt of some art materials that I ordered from a couple of suppliers in the State. He also offered to loan me some gear to use whilst on his patch. Our meeting took place at the weekly meet of the Plein Air Painters of Maine, a friendly bunch of keen artists who were working on a farm site near Boothbay. It turned out to be a great day, much conversation, plenty of seeing the techniques used in this part of the world and then a long chatty lunch after the rains came. We arranged to meet a couple of days later to paint together at Pemaquid lighthouse.

Mick and Dan

After all it is the Fall so instead of lots of panoramic shots, here is the essence of the season. In truth this year has been less than the best for colour but it is still spectacular and well worth the trip.

The Fall

Lighthouses are a fascinating feature of the Maine coastline and it's difficult to travel anywhere without being drawn to see them in their exposed positions. They also make good subjects for painting.

Owl's Head Lighthouse

More of this one later.

Pemaquid Lighthouse

This fellow was to be the venue for our little painting jaunt. Up early and out to catch the best of the morning light.

Dan with his morning's work

The rocks below the lighthouse.
Pemaquid Point

I also got out the brushes, a new bunch from Utrecht, and splashed the oil about.

Pemaquid Lighthouse - Oil on canvas board 12" x 10"

Another fine morning gave me the opportunity to use up a little more of that oil stuff.

Ocean Point - Oil on canvas board 12" x 10"

I'm afraid that's all I have time for this evening, Lobster Dinner is calling.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mick, after all the time I spent living in the States, I never did get to Maine, although I hear it is very beautiful. How wonderful for you to finally meet one of your on-line WC friends, and to go out and paint together. I do feel the light in these two are different from some of your previous work…but maybe they are shot on a different camera/scanner etc…or maybe you are using a different palette/approach? What was your wife doing while you were painting…Outlet mall shopping?

Susan Roux said...

Oh how wonderful you're getting to enjoy my fabulous State! Sounds like you're doing all the best stuff, like lobster...

Enjoy the remainder of your visit. Careful not to fall off any cliffs! I know how artists like to teeter off the end of the last rock to paint. Keep up the nice work!

Unknown said...

Maggie - It was a huge pleasure to get together with Dan. He was an informed guide to the area as well as being a first rate painting partner. I've learned so much from watching him work and listening to his thoughts about painting.

You are right to detect a shift in the light in these pieces. I'd like to think it reflects my response to the very different light conditions that exist here in Maine. The light is sensational. It is no wonder that the list of painters who have worked here and are working here is a very long one.

Besides that I decided to tone my boards with something different, in fact a thin glaze of quinacridone pink, that you can see poking through in odd places. I need to live with it a while and see how I feel in a week or two time. I think it adds something to the first one, not quite so sure about the second.

Unknown said...

Susan - Thanks for stopping by. All I can say is "You probably know how lucky you are!" Living in a painter's paradise must be a delight. Loved your Monhegan painting.

Unknown said...

Maggie - In response to your last question, Sheila was very well behaved and hesitated about breaking the Carney Bank by limiting herself to one pair of shoes and some quilting materials. There are times when airline baggage allowances come in handy.

Anonymous said...

Mick, Is your wife a quilter? My Aussie friend, also an avid quilter, went bonkers when she visited us in the States! Thanks for explaining about your boards. I knew there was something different, but you can never be sure when work is viewed on the Internet. I like both of them, very fresh, spontaneous, and full of light. I wonder what would happen if you used the same palette of colours for your English work when get home…. or if you will indeed switch back to colours more suited to the `English 'climate…

Unknown said...

Maggie - I'm certainly going to give it a try. Sheila is a relative newcomer to quilting but her work so far is fabulous. I should post some of it on here.

Daniel Corey said...

Hey Mick, it was great meeting you and Sheila in person! I look forward to the next time we paint together.

Unknown said...

Dan - It was fabulous.Thanks for everything.

Peter Ward said...

The light is very different over there Mick, even in Maine, in my experience. The UK colours are quite different, much more subtle (and dull?) by comparison. Horses for courses so I wonder if you can transpose American colours to the UK in a way that works.

Unknown said...

Peter - I'm interested to see that too. Can but give it a go.

rob ijbema said...

you caught the light in ocean point!!